Sunday, September 21, 2014

A Day That Will Live In Infamy

       On Tuesday, October 14, 2003 during a playoff game against the Florida Marlins, Steve Bartman, a local 26-year old global human resources worker from the Northern suburbs of Chicago, became the escape goat for all cubs fans. For me it was much more than just that.  
       The Chicago Cubs were one game away from making it to the world series in 2003. Bartman has been accused of being the reason they didn't make it, and as hard as it is to say, I would have done the same thing. Sitting in the 4th row above the visitors dugout, I was  there watching the cubs collapse after the infamous foul ball. One of the hardest things about that night was seeing my dad speechless for the first time in his life. I've grown up watching the cubs play at Wrigley Field my whole life. I was lucky enough to to have a dad who is a season ticket holder. 
       As I replay that night over and over again in my head, I realized that was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had with my dad. The Chicago Cubs have been a way my dad and I have connected over, and it has molded the relationship we have together. October 14th was the first time I saw my dad cry, it wasn't because he was hurt or let down, it was because his first love let him down. When I asked him that night why he cried, he told me that he didn't know if he would ever get to see the cubs win a world series. At that moment I realized the cubs were one thing that I would always have. They are one thing that would never leave my side. My dad and I have created a relationship over heart break. 
      Every moment I have spent at Wrigley Field isn't just watching baseball, it's watching the one thing I love like nothing else in this world. The reason they became my first love, was due to the night my dad and I experienced heart break together for the first time. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice! You took a national event, personalized it, and used that to comment on an angle of that day, and the baseball experience, that most people would not have connected together. Well done.

    ReplyDelete